Square bars, or billets, are mainly used for drop-forged components in the automotive industry. Ovako’s round corner square bars have a uniform internal structure and a very good surface quality – which is an absolute requirement when producing drop-forged parts. Round corner squared bars have a suitable shape for forging. Its shape also provides higher size flexibility in rolling processes.
Due to high consistent quality, round corner square bars from Ovako have a uniform weight distribution over the bar length, which makes it possible to produce forging blanks with a small variation in weight. Round corner square bars have no sharp edges which could provoke formation of laps and surface defects during forging operations.
Square bars by Ovako have a uniform inner structure with a very good surface finish and are available in our standard steel grades or even M-treated – all tailored to customer specifications.
Advantages of Ovako’s square bars
- Offers a uniform weight distribution over the bar due to high consistent quality
- No sharp edges that could cause laps or surface defects when forged
- No overheating of corners in induction heating compared to sharp corner bars
- Easier handling in rotary hearth furnaces since they do not require rolling like round bars
- Safer handling since they do not require rolling
We made it! But we are still not satisfied
What a journey! It took years of hard work to make our steelmaking operations more sustainable. In 2022, we went carbon neutral in all operations. But we´re still not satisfied - our journey continue for products with no CO2 emissions.
Read more about our path to carbon neutrality