BQ-Steel® (Bearing Quality) has for decades been the problem-solver in the bearing industriy. It is optimized for fatigue strength by a strict control of steel cleanness. The same approach to fatigue performance is now being applied in many other applications.
The extended performance, higher loads, and high cleanness are a result of the Ovako clean steel program. Purity of production means that the material has significantly smaller inclusions compared to conventional steel and, as a result, the fatigue strength of the steel is increased dramatically.
Component downsizing and increased loading are issues facing manufacturers today as space restrictions and lower operating weight are driven by energy conservation. High strength and high fatigue resistance facilitate the manufacture of components to meet the requirements of today and tomorrow. This is true for industries where high cyclical loading is an issue.
Advantages of BQ-Steel®
- 30–90 percent higher bending fatigue strength in simple load cases, depending on steel used today
- Up to 70 percent higher bending fatigue strength in multiaxial load cases, depending on steel used today
Factors affecting fatigue
Steel quality can have a tremendous impact on the fatigue life of a component. In conventional steel, non-metallic inclusions can be as large as 100 µm or even bigger. As varying loads are applied these large inclusions may initiate fatigue cracks if they are found in a highly loaded area, leading to material failure.
Continuous research and development by Ovako saw the introduction of a clean, bearing quality steel with inclusions typically less than 20 µm. Correspondingly, the fatigue strength of BQ-Steel falls between 600 to over 800 MPa, depending on loading direction, while that of conventional steels falls between 300 to 500 MPa. The rolling direction has a strong influence on fatigue properties for most steels. BQ-Steel is no exception. For an improved isotropic performance, we recommend IQ-Steel instead.
Unique analysis of the influences of defects in steel has allowed Ovako to build an extensive database invaluable in the development of clean steel. The resulting fatigue performance provides opportunities for manufacturers to rethink design solutions, allowing weight reductions of a component through an increased power density.
Ovako customer service
The BQ process can be applied to all our steel grades. We work closely with customers to optimize the steel supply chain to meet customers’ requirements, including multiple product packages. The material is available in tubes, bars, wire and rings.
Our services are underpinned by a detailed understanding of the industrial applications of our products, while paying as much attention as possible to your needs with regular direct contact. Ovako can advise you on how to best implement BQ-Steel for components in demanding applications.
- White paper: IQ-Steel a closer look at the isotropic quality process
- White paper: How clean is your steel
- White paper: Clean Steel living up to power density challenges
- Presentation: Performance in all directions
- Presentation: Purity creates opportunities
- Presentation: Rethink your design opportunities BQ-Steel & IQ-Steel
- Standard Practice: Standard Practice for high cleanliness demands ultrasonic method
- Article: Gear Solutions - Developing a Lighter, Stronger, and Cleaner Air-Melt Steel
- Article: Race Engine Technology - Material gains, advances in the manufacture and processing of metals
- Article: Innovative Steel Design and Gear Machining of Advanced Engineering Steel
- Ovako Product catalog
BQ-Steel® and IQ-Steel® brochureDownload PDF
Digital support tool - Steel Navigator
With Ovako’s Steel Navigator, finding the right clean steel has never been easier. Search by material properties, applications or end products. Compare with standard steels. And calculate machine settings to save time and increase tool life. Our digital Heat Treatment guide even helps you save time and money by predicting how a specific steel grade composition will perform after heat treatment. Whatever your application, our web-based steel selection tools let you explore hundreds of high quality steel products to find the right match for your specific needs.
Find out more at